This simple- some versions use condensed milk and unflavored gelatin.- I don’t. This is similar to the Pudim de Bolacha Maria.
1 package of Bolacha Maria cookies (about 16 cookies)( Use nabisco tea cookies if you can’t find the Maria one. Adjust the amount since they are a little smaller.)
1 pint of heavy cream
6 eggs separated
2 tbs. Water
1/2 cup plus 2 tbs. sugar
1 teaspoon milk
- Roll out the cookies into fine crumbs and set aside.
- For the egg sweet topping :In a small sauce pan, pour in 2 tablespoons of water and ¼ cup of the sugar. Stir. Heat the sugar water until it forms a light threadlike syrup but do not boil or allow to become golden.
- In a small bowl, whisk the yolks with a teaspoon of the milk. Gradually, while still whisking, drizzle in the sugar syrup, incorporating it thoroughly into the yolks. Set aside.
- Using a cold mixing bowl, beat the cream with ¼ cup of remaining sugar until peaks form and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites, until foamy. Continue to beat on high speed while gradually incorporating 2 tablespoons of sugar. Beat until soft peaks form. Fold the egg whites into the cream until the egg whites are thoroughly incorporated.
- To assemble:Work in alternate layers starting on the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan with the cookie crumbs: Pour a layer of cream followed by a layer of cookies then ending with topping it all off with the sweetened egg yolks . (To make it less rich you could eliminate the yolks. ) Sprinkle with cinnamon. Chill before serving.